• Home ·
  • Humour ·
  • The 10 Superior Skills of the Twin Parent
  • 14Jul

The 10 Superior Skills of the Twin Parent

I had a cracking comment recently on a twins post I wrote called Things Not to Say to a Twin Mum. Cracking in the sense that I read it, snorted with laughter and hit delete with a flourish. Basically it was a ranty-moo response that twin mums think we are better than everyone and we act like a ‘twin mum mafia’. I SO wish I hadn’t deleted that comment, as I think the responses from other readers would have been absolutely class, but it was nasty and late at night so I did it without thinking.

Anyway, I got to thinking I wish! A twin mum mafia would be flipping awesome! We have so many unique skills that would make us a great mafia! So, red-rag to bull and all that: here it is. Thank you anonymous commenter from Milton Keynes: if my jokey post on things not to say to parents of twins got your goat, this one is aiming to take the whole herd. Mwahahaha! I hereby present:

THE 10 SUPERIOR SKILLS OF THE TWIN PARENT

1. Strength: Our constant lifting of heavy babies gives us superior muscle tone.
    2. Endurance: We endure sleep deprivation comparable to special-forces in training.
    3. Speed: We can fly in and out of a baby’s bedroom at 4am like a flipping ninja. (You would too if you risked waking another screaming baby).
    4. Sense: Our sense of smell is heightened to that of a top police tracker dog, being able not only to spot a dirty nappy, but locating it to within 6 inches from the other side of the room.
    5. Humour: We laugh in the face of danger. (Mainly because we accept we can only tackle one danger at a time so the other one may as well be funny!).
    6. Hustling: We have more grey hair than you would expect for our age, which is disarming and helps us hustle.
    7. Gift of the Gab: We should all have PhD’s in Diplomacy and Negotiation (e.g. you get to pull the plug out tomorrow, the second hand shoes are magic, three divided by two is one each and one for me, etc)
    8. Emotional Resilience: We can do all of the above while simultaneously crying without even smudging our mascara. (We have no time for makeup).
    9. Lords of the Dance: We always have enough people for the hokey cokey.
    10. Brute Force: Our prams are bigger than your prams. Move over, we’re coming through whether it suits you or not!

So, Twin Mum Mafia it is! Who else is in? What are your twins qualifications/special skills?

JT

Discussion 119 Responses

1. July 14, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I hear you!
    Mum of twins, plus 3 singletons… (6, 5, 3 and 2x 4m)

• July 16, 2012 at 11:03 am

Tilly Floss, you put me to shame – Mum of 2 x 4 year old boys! How do you do it – wine, drugs, lost sanity, something else?

• July 16, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Tilly was first to reply and therefore gets to be our honorary twin mum equivalent of Robert De Niro. Watch her – she’s on the ball this one!

2. July 16, 2012 at 10:47 am

So true! Mum of 3 year old id girls and their super big sister age 5

• July 16, 2012 at 6:39 pm

You’re 18 months ahead of me then! I assume it’s all disney happiness and rainbows by then, yes? ;)

• July 17, 2012 at 8:04 pm

disney happiness only as long as the movie is on and the rainbows are from sleep deprivation still :) (my son is 6 and my twin girls are 3.5)
        jk – the happy times are better and more fun and the rainbows are in washable marker now. the challenges are just different :) :)

3. July 16, 2012 at 10:57 am

Well said, especially on the diplomacy. As a mum to twins and an older boy I feel I am well equipped to apply for a job as a Diplomat or maybe a Middle East Peace Envoy! One more talent I believe we possess is spotting danger way before parents of singletons…

4. July 16, 2012 at 11:04 am

LOL brill totally in, mam of 2 sets of twins under 27 months and a 5 year old singelton my motto with my large quad buggy is move it or loose it !!!!!!!

• July 16, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Yay! Quad buggy!! You can do security for our Mafia meet-ups.

5. July 16, 2012 at 11:38 am

You know me – I’m in!! Move over mums of only one baby at a time, pah!

6. July 16, 2012 at 11:48 am

Mummy to 17 month old Spud & Sprout. Yes, we do have eyes in the back of our heads.

7. July 16, 2012 at 11:51 am

After being a mum to my little boy I thought it was hard work until I had twin girls. Having twins sharpens your mummy skills, everyday is a new challenge even now when they are 5! However, I bow down to parents double sets of twins, triplets, quads and more- I think that would break me lol.

• July 16, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I also bow to them for they are our twin mafia godfathers/mothers. Shame they have to delegate their leadership for obvious reasons. We don’t do work/life balance as well as you’d think for a family based pretend criminal organisation… ;)

8. July 16, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Ha love this and everyone is true. Mummy to 8 month old non-id boys x x

9. July 16, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Number 3 is SO true. Although one time in the middle of the night, I woke to crying, scooped crying baby up ninja stylee, rocked and cuddled him, wondered why he was crying even louder, only to discover that I had scooped up the wrong twin – the one I was rocking was fast asleep, the one who was crying, was still in his cot!

• July 16, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Hahahaha! I did a proper snorting laugh at that! Been there too! Also I was keen on bathing the same baby twice by mistake, and mine aren’t even identical, one was bald and one had a full head of hair so I had no excuse!!

10. July 16, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I still shudder when I remember being asked “OMG when are you due as you look fit to burst!” – whilst I was pushing my 3weeks old newborn twins in the pushchair! Seriously! I know I still looked like a hippo but you don’t need to remind me!

• July 16, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Ouch! that wasn’t helpful! I still look pregnant now and mine are 18 months old. My own doing to be fair, I really should stop wearing my maternity clothes but they’re sooo comfy…

11. July 16, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I LOVE this, having just survived a morning of hospital appts with my 16 month old twins I can confirm 100% that each of these points are true!!

• July 16, 2012 at 6:46 pm

I hope they are ok, and glad it amused!

• July 19, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Don’t forget also that Twin Mums have the patience and endurance of a Saint! How else can you handle it when the first baby starts crying as soon as the second baby was fed? Or when you put one baby to sleep and the second one wakes him up with his crying?

12. July 16, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I’m in too – two 2.5 year old boys and a baby girl due in 8 weeks! Bring it on – there are enough of us online to take over the world mwahahaha. I can officially vouch that carrying a singleton is tonnes easier – I’ve just got to hope that looking after one is easier too as I’m not sure there is a return policy.

• July 16, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Hehe I would have to concur, my twin pregnancy was a lot tougher than my singleton one. I did however compensate by eating a lot lot lot more cheese, which I feel gave it the edge were I to do it again. Hope the pregnancy is going well? xx

13. July 16, 2012 at 1:54 pm

love this post :) i shared it on my fb page :)) having twins is also the best thing ever when it comes to showing off the parenting skills that we gain – when ur friends come over or at kids’ parties when u r the only person who can see everybody at once n estimate the potential danger before it happens!

• July 16, 2012 at 6:14 pm

We are indeed experts at risk assessment! And really there’s additional danger, the usual baby danger x 2 plus the danger they pose to one another!

14. July 16, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Dont forget the ability to nearly spread our eyes in different directions like one of those chameleons so we always keep an eye on each of them~thats an AWESOME super power. haha.

• July 16, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Ahh yes – and the chameleon description is probably more PC than the one I would have used :))

15. July 16, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I loved this blog!! And had missed the earlier one on comments made by other people; my friend Laura has just started a similar blog and I showed her this page as it made us both smile, to find we all experience the same things. However, it’s really important to find the positives in everything; thank you for doing that today! Laura’s page is http://101stupidthings.blogspot.co.uk/ if you were interested xx

• July 16, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Thanks – will take a look :) Agree about being positive. Somedays it’s cathartic to rant (like the original post I did) but probably more healthy to strike a balance!

• July 16, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Laura’s blog started when she posted a photo titled ‘Yes, I’ve got my hands full’ and I said “Full of love”.. However, it appears that, like you, I upset someone with my top 10 list of annoying things people say to twin mums!! Oh well. Keep up the good work x

16. July 16, 2012 at 6:02 pm

LOVE IT, especially the hustling one! Who knew having this many grey hairs at 36 years old was an asset?

Mum to 5 singletons, and 22 month old twin whirlwinds

• July 16, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Elvy, with seven kids you become a senior figure in my Mafia straight away! *bows*

17. July 16, 2012 at 7:10 pm

This is brilliant – count me in!!

• July 16, 2012 at 7:44 pm

This is brilliant. My mum saw me in action with my two year olds the other day and said to me – “when they’re older you could get a job as a peace envoy for the middle east”.
      Twin mums should feel superior – let’s face it we need something to hold on to while the rest of the mothers are enjoying carrying around their one little darlings, having things like ‘conversations’ and ‘holidays’ – whatever they are!

• July 16, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Amen to that! I’m always disappointed when someone starts a conversation about how hard twins must be, as they are wasting the precious 30 seconds we may get to actually speak! Would really rather they just opened with a joke and ended with ‘so, er, fancy a pint?’ (although that makes we feel a little bit like Alan Partridge).

18. July 16, 2012 at 7:35 pm

In 100% agreement!!! I have 4 year old non-id boys and baby no.3 due in a few weeks. Particularly love the buggy comment – double buggies always have right of way!!

• July 16, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I know. I think I’ll just keep mine in theirs until they’re in high school – I’m not used to giving way anymore!

19. July 16, 2012 at 7:42 pm

the super human ability to catch anything, from small packets of raisins to tumbling tots with your ‘wrong’ hand, your feet, elbows or even between your knees! in fact you no longer have a non dominant hand, if you’ve got a hand you’re bloody well using it!

• July 16, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Oh yes, that’s an excellent one! Ampidextrousity. Plus the ability to make up words with impunity?

20. July 16, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Fabulous post, I love it! Twin Mums rock and we deserve all the respect we get! lmao Mich x

• July 18, 2012 at 7:02 pm

That means a lot, coming from the original twin Fairy Blogmother! <<<< readers, check this lady's blog, it's HUGE!

21. July 16, 2012 at 10:50 pm

So true :-) we twin mums are fab!! Thanks for the giggle

22. July 17, 2012 at 12:21 am

Haha…Thanks for the laugh!! These other mum’s who get offended are just jealous. We have every right to group together and have our own ‘mummy mafia’ if we want to. Who else can we talk to who will actually understand what it’s really like. We ARE super mum’s and we are awesome!! There is nothing wrong with taking pride in raising twins or more at the same time (plus, other siblings). Just because your struggling with your singleton doesn’t mean you have to try and bring us down. Even though i hate the saying “double trouble” it really is so much harder than just having one, but we get on and do what we have to. I don’t have time to judge all the other mum’s around me, im too busy looking after my own kids. Pitty it isn’t the same for some women!!

23. July 17, 2012 at 10:42 am

Kudos to you! I don’t have twins, but my first two children are less than 2 years apart, and I always would wonder aloud how mothers of multiples do it. As much as we give our children, they give back to us in love, and in helping us to grow in strength and stamina.

• July 19, 2012 at 8:12 am

Definitely strength and stamina! If I had a day off I’m fairly sure I could run a 10k like I used to with no training haha!

24. July 17, 2012 at 11:20 am

Just smile and wave guys.. smile and wave!!! ‘Are they twins?’… ‘Oooh they’re very different aren’t they’ in a slightly disappointed tone…. ‘Are they a boy and a girl?’ (no – 2 boys) ‘But one’s got a lot more hair than the other’!?!?!
    Mum to 2 girls aged 5 and 4 – my practice run for the twin boys now 15 months – just starting walking thus my life ends!!!
    Emigrated to NZ nearly 3 years ago but silly comments are apparently the same worldwide!

25. July 17, 2012 at 11:20 am

Amen and Alleluia Girl !
    To know a twin mum is to BE a twin mum. Noone else can “imagine” it unless you LIVE it. So high five all you multiple mums and dads out there. We rock !
    Mum of just turned three boy / girl twins !

• July 18, 2012 at 6:47 am

Right back atcha! Three is a brill age, their conversations are bonkers!

26. July 17, 2012 at 12:10 pm

This post is fantastic and every word is true. I have 5yo singleton girl and 9 week old twin girls! So I still have so much to learn but I think my multitasking skills should earn me a place at least as a mafia apprentice! Particularly being able to tandem breastfeed, eat, watch tv, tweet and read blogs at the same time… Like I am right now! :-)

• July 18, 2012 at 6:48 am

Apprenticeship over… The twin pregnancy more than account for that! Welcome to the mob my friend…

27. July 17, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Nice to meet you, I belong to a Sister Sorority, the “Stepmom Mafia”. My most useful super power – I have those cool, bullet proof arm band bracelet things that Wonder Woman had; mine do not repel bullets, but instead the snarky comments of a 9 year old who thinks shes 18.

• July 18, 2012 at 6:57 am

Good to meet you! Step mothers should definitely be a mob. You have so many positive role models in kids films to motivate you! :-/ Seriously, tough job and well done – only 9 years to go!!

• July 29, 2012 at 11:51 pm

We do have the role models, feel free to borrow anything you find useful !
        9 yrs? Id get less that for armed robbery. Hmmm…

28. July 17, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Thanks for all the lovely comments! This post has been featured today on the “Freshly Pressed” section of the WordPress front page. Totally made up :))
    Anyway, back to the pile of laundry…

29. July 17, 2012 at 2:24 pm

The more I read the more I’m in awe of parents of twins.

30. July 17, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I have one 4-month-old, and every single day I am in awe of how parents of multiples do it. You guys are indeed ninja rockstars! Cheers!

31. July 17, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I salute you! I have two kids, but they were born at different times. Twin mums are a force not to mess with.

• July 18, 2012 at 7:00 am

You are right! I used to worry that my life would end with twins, then was reminded that Maggie Thatcher had them and she went quite far afterwards I hear!

32. July 17, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Wouldn’t the same also apply to those of us w 8 children? How about 7 w (almost) twins? (1 was stillborn)

• July 18, 2012 at 7:11 am

With that many yes it definitely applies and I once again bow to another massive family head. Also very sorry that one twin was born sleeping x

33. July 17, 2012 at 4:38 pm

sharing this!!!!

34. July 17, 2012 at 4:50 pm

We have twins! I don’t if it’s diplomacy, but we’ve becoming masters of answering personal questions from complete strangers. Here are some we’ve answered:
    - do twins run in your family?
    - did you do fertility?
    - did you deliver vaginally? ( As the dad, I like answering this one)
    - how’s the sex life after having twins?

• July 18, 2012 at 7:43 am

Absolutely. Controlling the urge to give rude answers is a toughie. We are the politest mafia there is.

35. July 17, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Ha! This is hilarious! I am not a mom… but I imagine that being a mom of twins would have to come with these superpowers :-)

36. July 17, 2012 at 5:32 pm

This post was adorable…very good!

37. July 17, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Hilarious! I have 2 year-old ID twin boys made in the UK. We are in Holland now, maybe I could start a Dutch mob squad? :)

• July 18, 2012 at 7:44 am

You’ve been beaten to it! I believe it’s alive and well on twitter!

38. July 17, 2012 at 8:08 pm

This is absolutely hilarious – and as somebody who is 12 weeks pregnant with twins (my first – and only – children), it’s both reassuring and terrifying! I’m looking forward to reading the rest of your blog!

• July 18, 2012 at 7:45 am

You will find resources you never knew you had I promise you :)

39. July 17, 2012 at 8:09 pm

My special skill is the ability to move in two directions at one time.

• July 18, 2012 at 7:46 am

Ooh, that’s a good one. Your mafia name can be ‘the bends’. Welcome!

40. July 17, 2012 at 8:09 pm

you forgot our incredible balancing ability!
    to be able to have a baby carrier in each hand, a diaper bag over one shoulder and still able to stand on one foot to be able to tap the disabled automatic door opener with one knee without falling over, smashing the diaper bag into one of the babies or dropping one of them. the best is when you do this and people just stand and stare…

• July 18, 2012 at 7:49 am

That is SO true! By the end of their time in first stage car seats I was lifting over 44lbs of babies plus equipment, worrying my neck would just pop through the strain. I think we have that covered under strength but clearly I missed an agility category there…

41. July 17, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Hubby and I have a blended family of 7 (29yrs- 16yrs) and my was that tricky when they were younger – we were super parents but had the benefit of bigger kids helping with little ones. Its not the same as multiples, its not the same as being a single parent, its not the same as being a step parent nor is it the same as having a ‘normal’family composition. All parents have special skills and abilities that are a requirement to nurture their offspring.

I am not a twin parent but am a twin Auntie (kids now 20yrs+) and a twin Nan (28 week premies, now 20months). My regular babysitting duties of twins is nothing compared with the 24/7 role that the parents of mulitples have. The prams are heavier, you need two sets of eyes in the back of your head, everything is happening in stereo, you need to be an octopus to carry all the bits and the babies, and there is twice as much poop!!!! Twin / multiple parents are legends.

42. July 17, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I love this! You are right on spot. And I agree with the balancing ability/juggling act as I call it. Carrying to infant carriers, diaper bag and able to get in and out of building no problem is an act that only moms of multiples can do. I have seen my husband try it isn’t pretty lol. Love my husband to death but there are just some things he will never be able to do. I learned a lot when we had our girls who are now 2 1/2 its like I never babysat or helped withmy little brothers. Doing everything times two is quite the handful. A friend of mine has 7 month old triplets and I am always asking how she does it. She said its great organizational skills and a schedule.

43. July 17, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Ha! Love it. I have a triple stroller that I use just to intimidate people… Multiple mafia!

• July 18, 2012 at 2:57 am

haha LOVE it!!! I’ve got a 20 month old boy and triplet 3 month olds- looking forward to gaining my superpowers!!!

• July 18, 2012 at 7:55 am

She’s right! Hmm, haven’t thought this through have I? Rigid routine and predictability possibly isn’t a feature of the more successful mobs…

44. July 17, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Nice. I think twins areawesome, if anyone deserves to feel a little upitty or superior it’s definately a twin mum

• July 18, 2012 at 7:57 am

Thank you! To be honest I’m just grateful people recognise its hard, as otherwise I would feel even worse about having kids in unironed ill-matched clothes eating cereal for dinner!

• July 18, 2012 at 5:07 pm

“unironed ill-matched clothes eating cereal for dinner” dear god this has been my entire life lol

• July 18, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Yeah me too, still am now! I think there’s another post in that ‘bad habits you get away with with multiples…’ ;)

• July 18, 2012 at 5:33 pm

you clever devil lol *clicks follow*

45. July 18, 2012 at 1:14 am

What about the immense amounts of patience twin mothers must possess in order to survive hearing, “Twins? Oh, I know exactly how you feel, I may as well have had twins, mine were xxx months apart…” without committing murder in broad daylight. IT’S NOT THE SAME, PEOPLE!!!

Love your post!
    Stephanie, mother of two delightful 18 month-olds ;)

46. July 18, 2012 at 8:20 am

Haha!!! Love it! I have 10 1/2 month old twin girls and am absolutely shattered. My sister has a 3 month old and was back to her wonderful self after about 2 weeks. It really is more than twice as hard with two! I have to say though it is also twice as much fun, twice as rewarding and I feel twice as chuffed when everything goes extra well!!!! Have to say, some mums like the one you are talking about will never understand unless it happens to them. (and lets hope that if it does they are a bit friendlier for their little ones sakes!)

• July 18, 2012 at 8:31 am

I’m not sure whether it was a mum as they were anonymous, but I guess if a parent of one is struggling and sees a multiples parent managing it might make them feel worse?

• July 18, 2012 at 9:43 am

Yeah maybe. perhaps they had had a particularly bad day. Sad they have to feel that way though. All mums should be celebrated as its not easy. Its a shame to hear of people making comments like that instead of supporting one another.

47. July 18, 2012 at 9:42 am

We know how to chase a kid in 2 different directions.

We can handle twice the stress of a drivers licence.

Clothes… hand-me-downs don’t go far enough.

….. but it’s all double the joy !!!

• July 18, 2012 at 4:05 pm

With you on the chasing. Sometimes I worry people will think I have a tick as my head constantly darts from side to side keeping track of the kids.

48. July 18, 2012 at 10:58 am

Your mathematical equation is inspiring! I’ve just given up ‘the one for me’ sadly. I did a different equation.
    Baby weight + mummy/food blogging = muffin top over my jeans.
    Great post.

• July 18, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Ahh yes, that’s a real health hazard isn’t it. I once calculated the calories consumed from ‘just finishing’ their dinners and realised it was equivalent to two mars bars a day! Why is it that cold fish fingers look so inviting?

49. July 18, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Hate to think what a Triplet Mum would be like.

50. July 18, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Hey…I like this post cuz it reminds me of wat my parents have done! M a twin, n my mum wud love to read this..she will, i hav led her to this post :-)

51. July 19, 2012 at 4:15 am

Love this!

52. July 19, 2012 at 4:15 am

Reblogged this on thismomsfranticmind and commented:
    I know this all to well! I love that someone wrote in such a humorous manner :)

• July 22, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Ooh thank you! Re-blogged always makes me chuckle as it sounds like it should be a post-partum procedure. “If you could just relax for one more minute madam while we reblog your unmentionables…”

53. July 19, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Two faces within two seconds; smile to one side saying “What a clever girl!”, cross on the other side saying “No, not like that!” …

• July 19, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Superb! Yes that’s a major skill! Similar to holding 2+ conversations at once on vastly different topics.

54. July 19, 2012 at 8:58 pm

I don’t have twins. I love #7, I mean the whole thing had me rolling, but I can’t tell you how many times I’ve played the “share with mommy and we each get one” card with my two little ones. Works like a charm!

• July 22, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Which is why I am drawn towards packets that come in threes! (Or four if eldest in tow!)

55. July 27, 2012 at 4:30 pm

[...] speak a hilarious [...]

56. August 10, 2012 at 9:51 pm

[...] few weeks ago I read, with great amusement, a post by Jane at In a Different Voice.  She had received a rather nasty comment about twin mums thinking they are better than anyone [...]

57. August 12, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I’m in! If I had a £1 for every time a singleton mum said ” I know exactly what its like, mine are only ** months apart” I would be rich! All I want to say to them is, YOU DONT KNOW! So shut the hell up and leave me alone to multitask our lives!LOL

58. August 13, 2012 at 7:24 am

Yep I’d love to be a part of your twin mum mafia. I get people saying having twins is ey all the time. Then they watch me for five minutes and realise it isn’t!

59. August 14, 2012 at 5:39 am

I think my mother would’ve joined your mafia. Mother of twins and 7 other kids to boot! And boot ‘em she did, every time they needed it. Notice the conspicuous “they” there?? Naturally, being the only perfectly behaved child she had, I didn’t get da boot. Oh, OK – truth comes out. I got the switch. OUCH.

60. October 1, 2012 at 10:02 am

I have always secretly thought mums of twins are a cut above. But, annoyingly other mums just will not have it. Why is that? Its weird, I’d be sitting in a mum and baby group and some idiot would be moaning on to me about how long it took her that day to get out of the house. I’m like ‘hello, I’ve got two?!’ I think its because they think twins are like a special type of baby unit of two, i.e. they sleep at the same time, never argue, only make the mess of one etc. Oh how wrong they are!

When I hear the baby tales of woe my response is always ‘One baby, how hard can it be?!’ Mine are now 8 and it is still occasionally, a pride swallowing siege.

(Small print : mum pecking order – mums of triplets, or mums of kids with severe special needs, are above mums of twins, obviously.)

61. December 30, 2012 at 5:58 pm

How strange this site is. Everybody has different abilities in coping. A mother of twins may manage much more easily than a mother of one. Your comparisons are anecdotal. Given that no two people are the same and no one’s environment is the same as another’s you are saying nothing of substance. Take me. Given my poor mental health I would probably batter my babies regardless of whether they were two singletons born two years apart or twins. Enjoy your babies and children and be grateful you have them!

• January 4, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Erm, ok.

62. December 30, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Whilst I can see that two or more young babies especially must be very challenging for mothers and fathers surely there are many factors that make parenthood stressful. I would sooner be a comfortably off mother of twins than an impoverished mother of a singleton. I am also willing to bet that if a mother of twins was out shopping for several hours without any single comments of any kind being made they would be a little bit disappointed. I loved people cooing over my children when they were little and even the insensitive comments eg. my son not having teeth at 14 months was seen to be some sort of deficiency, did not upset me. 40 years ago people had babies, twins or otherwise, without automatic washing machines, tumble dryers, disposable nappies, dishwashers, central heating and bottle sterilisers – now that must have been hardship!